From Friday 6th April 2020, drinks with more than 5 grams of sugar per 100ml will be subject to a new “Sugar Tax”. Few countries have similar levies in place, with France, Norway, and Mexico being amongst the small number of those in addition to the UK that do. Under the new rules, drinks with a sugar content between 5g and 8g per 100ml will cost consumers an additional 18p per litre, while those containing more than 8g per 100ml will cost 24p more per litre.
Estimated to generate around £240m a year, the Sugar Tax is not actually a tax on sugar insofar as it is a tax on fizzy drinks. Fruit juice is exempt for the new tax and so is milk, meaning milkshakes, coffee drinks, and other similar pre-made beverages that are typically high in sugar will not be any more expensive as they were yesterday. While the Sugar Tax will not affect our beloved ready-made coffee drinks (at least not yet), the subject has gotten everyone at Bibium thinking ‘how would we sweeten our coffee without sugar?’.
We figured if we were thinking about it then you might be too, which is why we put our heads together and came up with these 7 health and tasty ways to sweeten coffee without sugar.
The first place many of us will go when looking for an alternative to sugar is an artificial sweetener. Consumers in the UK have had sweeteners at their fingertips for decades and many are based on Aspartame, Stevia, and Sucralose, all of which are low in calories and have been deemed safe for human consumption. For a time, there was concern that sweeteners increased the risk of cancer, however, this has never been proven. The Cancer Research UK website reaffirms this point by stating “Large studies looking at humans have now provided strong evidence that artificial sweeteners do not increase the risk of cancer”.
Almond milk is becoming an evermore popular alternative to cow’s milk, thanks in part to its low-calorie content and rich nutritional profile. Available both sweetened and unsweetened, we find that unsweetened almond milk is usually sweet enough to take the bitter edge off your daily cup of coffee. If the flavour is not quite to your liking, simply add a drop or two of vanilla extract to your almond milk before pouring it into your coffee.
Sugar-free coffee syrups are a fantastic way to sweeten up your morning brew while giving yourself some different to look forward to. If you’re looking for a good sugar-free coffee syrup, we cannot recommend anyone more highly than 1883 Maison Routin. Made using botanical ingredients that produce a fresh taste and natural aroma, you may be tempted to switch to 1883 syrups even if you’re not trying to cut out sugar!
We only gave this one a go recently, but if you’re preparing coffee in a cafetiere try mixing some cinnamon powder in with the ground coffee beans. It will probably take a few goes before you find the ratio that’s right for you, however, you’re in for a treat once you do. Obviously, cinnamon will never be able to replicate the sweetness of sugar, but this flavourful infusion will ensure you don’t miss it.
Most of us have come across the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte, and while those are generally not all that good for you, the same cannot be said about a Pumpkin Spiced Coffee. Pumpkin Spice is actually very similar to cinnamon powder, in fact, it actually contains cinnamon powder along with nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice.
If you like the taste of mint chocolate, then this may be the coffee combo you’ve been searching for. Adding cocoa nibs to your coffee will give it hints of dark chocolate flavour while the peppermint oil will help to east any bitterness. In terms of preparation, a teaspoon of cocoa nibs and two or three drops of peppermint oil should be enough for about four cups of coffee.
Mixing eggshells with coffee grounds is an old school camping trick to make your drink a little less bitter. This is because the bitterness of coffee is a result of its acidity and eggshells are alkaline. By mixing the two, the eggshells help to balance out the coffee’s acidity, making the overall flavour less bitter. What’s more, both eggshells and coffee grounds make a fantastic addition to compost, so you can put both to use in your garden once you’re done drinking your coffee. As a matter of fact, there are numerous other ways that coffee grounds can be used in the garden, including as fertilizer and a means of pest control.
Honey is one of our favourite coffee sweeteners, however, we were unsure whether or not to include it on this list. Technically speaking, around 78% of honey is made up of different sugars (glucose, sucrose, fructose, etc.) and the remaining 22% is mostly water. With this in mind, is it then fair to include honey as an alternative to sugar? We don’t know, which is why we’re letting you decide.